Monday, August 4, 2008

Nova Scotia

This is the ferry from Bar Harbor to Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. I befriended a bicyclist from Quebec who took this photo and posted it to his blog (and I am using it to show what an amazing ship it was/is), otherwise this view would have been missed entirely by me. The fog never lifted between Maine and Canada and I had moved on by the time the ferry sailed. Jacques had to declare his pepper spray and was required to go through customs giving him more opportunity to catch the sailing.
Jacques had been on the road biking for over 100 days by the time I met him at  6:00 AM and has finally found himself back in Canada after riding around the US for a look about. As of this writing, he is still in Cape Breton and might just be making his way around Bras d'Or Lake.

A map view of Nova Scotia - which way should I go from here?

This was an amazing wooden church on the side of the road. One of the most functional designs about Nova Scotia is that all the roads were marked as Trails (i.e. The Cabot Trail, The Evangeline Trail, etc...) or Routes (Lighthouse Route)
It is hard to see the words on this sign (very clear in full size), but they say, "Site of the 1967 UFO Incident". Not sure what was up with that, but further down the road was a museum dedicated to this incident. It was labeled "UFO Museum" and was essentially someone's house. I did not stop.

Three bikers that I rode with for a little bit. They were cops from Maryland - great bunch of guys. Very salt of the earth and obviously did not take their work on vacation with them. They are the type of riders that enjoy popping into a pub for a pint and then riding to the next place. Not setting a good example of the drinking and driving rules. For the record, I had ice tea at that stop with them... when I met up with them later in Bridgewater, Nova Scotia I made up for not drinking with them at that one stop.
Peggy's Lighthouse - I had lunch at the tourist trap restaurant and was immediately upset at my decision to stop here and eat. It wasn't just because the waitress spilled an entire bowl of clarified butter on my pants. It wasn't that the food was just mediocre. I would have to say that it was the busloads of people that came in like they owned the place. They weren't even eating.
The enclosed harbor of Peggy's Cove. This whole town had the same feel of a Greenlandic town (similar to Ilulissat, Greenland - also known as Jakobshavn). The foliage was similar with the glacially deposited boulders, the moss, the tundra-like hummocks usually associated with permafrost and a lack of trees in this area. Oddly enough, this might have been one of the few places I came across in Nova Scotia with this terrain. 

No comments: