Monday, August 4, 2008

I miscalculated the first part of this trip

When I first started planning this trip, I had determined that I needed to leave in May (I left June 15th) to make certain milestones in the trip. Mostly so I wouldn't have to rush to beat the snows in Alaska, but also so I wouldn't have to have any days that I had to ride more than 400 miles in a day. So far, I have had about a week of those types of days with the longest being Saturday the 9th of Aug (497 miles).


Unfortunately, I had personal issues that required I remain in Denver until I resolved them, which is what determined the start in mid-June. I am not upset about the late start because I have seen some really amazing places on this trip. Places that I know I will get back to now that I know what they have to offer. Future trips will just focus on those places (Nova Scotia, PEI, New Foundland, NB and Ontario) that I didn't spend much time exploring. Instead of traveling around Nova Scotia and PEI seeing just 150 miles in a day, I would shave that to 50 miles a day and put my feet on the ground a little more. 

New Foundland was a place that I had to remove from my trip because I didn't have the time to work in the 6hr (each way) ferry. I cut out the entire Gaspe Peninsula for that same reason. New Brunswick has so much to offer and Ontario is freakishly spectacular. It is 1.5 X  larger than Texas (for those that are geographically challenged) but smaller than Alaska. By my estimate, it has a bazillion times more lakes than Minnesota ("Land of 10,000 Lakes") and a proportionate amount of mosquitos. 

For a good portion of Ontario there are some really great lakes. I rode along Lake Huron which was a really great lake and then it seemed to turn into another lake (Superior - it was certainly superior in size to Huron, it took me much longer to go around and it was also a good lake). Both lakes were amazing to see without all that crazy population living next to them. Compared to the US there is very little in the way of population. I think the largest city/town/village in this part of Ontario was Thunder Bay. It started of as a French fur trading outpost in the late 1600's and is now home to about 100,000 people - much too large a place for me to stay for the night, but still fun to explore a bit. 


There are now a series of locks and canals that flow into Lake Superior. Further west of Thunder Bay (almost to Manitoba) is the Arctic Watershed. 

Prior to here, all rivers drained to the great lakes or were part of the Hudson Watershed.

After all the very elaborate welcome signs, this is all that Saskatchewan could come up with... something made in a high school shop class?
Which brings me to one little question... Do they really use sasquatch in their Saskatchewan Beef? I don't think I'll be eating at any Chinese restaurants in this province. I've eaten alligator, caribou, buffalo, kangaroo, seal, whale, ostrich and even okra - I just don't think I could bring myself to eat sasquatch! Next thing you know is that when I find myself in Nepal I will have to eat yeti.

No comments: