Thursday, September 25, 2008

Highway 1

It truly is hard to find my way off the dirt roads and back to the pavement, but I really want to get to the coast. Perhaps tomorrow...
Before tomorrow came, I found a "drive thru tree". I had looked for the other two that are still in existence (a fourth fell a few years ago), but since I didn't have a good map for them and I was too busy having fun, I just kept going. Too bad I didn't have a bit more light...
Ahhh... Mendocino! What a quaint little town, it made me think of the Alfred Hitchcock movie, "Birds". I should have walked around a bit and shopped. I should have also eaten here. Perhaps I should have stayed a few days. Instead, I ate a handful of cashews, some beef jerky, a banana and the last of my water while overlooking the water. It seemed the thing to do at the time.
Somewhere down the coast I stopped again because some f*ck was riding my *ss (he could have at least pulled my hair!) and wouldn't get off it. Good thing I did. This part of the coast is interesting enough that you could stop almost every mile to look at something new.
My white balance wasn't set correctly, but I did like this view of the road below so much that I didn't want to part with it. It is a small example of how twisty the coastal route (1) is. What a treat!!!
Ahhh, wine country. This was a vineyard in the Russian River hills.

No comments: