Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A couple of months. Hmmm...

It appears that I am going to have to work on my estimation of time. A couple of months turned into 18. Sure, it wasn't as if I was planning on turning around and heading back south (although, in hindsight, to complete the trip like I wanted to, that would have been what I should have done) to Ushuaia, Argentina.

In any case, I am off again. This time, I am headed to Japan next week and should be there for about a month on a rental. I would have prefered to ship my own bike and use it there, but on careful research I determined that the cost would balance out and leave me without the hassel of shipping, documentation for the shipping, insuring the bike there (required and takes up to 6 days), shipping bike back, etc... Now, I just get off the plane, hop on a train, check into my hotel and pick up the motorcycle a couple of days later. Pretty painless until I pay my credit card bill (already done and now the pain is forgotten). I know that everyone has suggestions or people to meet, but as a lot of you that have traveled with me know, I am not big into plans, schedules or anything else that can tie me down to one thing or another when I might find a better alternative. After traveling overseas for over 20 years, I have gone from rigid schedule to lose interpretation of an idea of an inkling of what I might want to see and do. A few years ago I went to Italy for Mark and Heather's wedding and while that was planned out, I had only one thing that I needed to see/do while I was there... pick up a piece of Murano glass for a friend. With just one thing to do I was free to do whatever I wanted to do or the people around me wanted to do. We walked streets randomly, drank wine with abandon and didn't have a care. What I am saying is, if you have a suggestion for me to see or do, please let me know... but who knows what the randomness of the universe will bring me, so don't feel bad if I don't get to your suggestion. It isn't personal.

No comments: